06 May 2010

Starting to trust my own gut instincts more

I have decided that I need to trust myself and my gut instincts a lot more than I have in the past, as my gut instinct never leads me astray.

The gut feeling is that sense where you know instinctively that something "feels" right or good for you, or it doesn't. It may be that the situation or person that your gut feeling is telling you about, is providing you clues about the status of your interaction (positive or negative for you), but because it's not anything definite or tangible, it can be sometimes difficult to justify following the gut feeling through. Of course, you learn afterwards, that the gut feeling was right, spot on and you know then (after the fact), that you never should have gone in that direction, or conversely, you should have gone in the direction. When you start to intellectualise what you're sensing in your gut feelings, it's never going to lead you in the right direction, because you'll then justify to and convince yourself that your intellect and rational thinking is more correct and besides which, if the gut feelings are telling you to stay away from someone or something you have invested yourself in, it's difficult to listen because you want the opposite to be true.

Every time I get a "gut feeling" about anything or anyone, it has always been 100% right and spot on. I have never had a gut feeling that was wrong. I have instead, felt the consequences when I have not followed through on my gut feeling. For example, I had a very strong gut feeling about an ex-boyfriend before I even met him, that he looked like a user, someone who would take total advantage of me. So what did I do? Of course I ignored that gut feeling and of course the guy turned out to be a total user who took total advantage of me and my good nature. He used me and then cast me aside like I didn't matter to him when things started to get too complicated. He was not prepared to have a serious relationship with me even before he got together with me, but still he pursued me and still I allowed it!

I have so many examples of where I didn't follow through with how my gut feeling was directing me, much to my later-felt chagrin. I have sometimes followed it, but it's been more of a haphazard application, not consistently. I now realise I must always go with my gut feeling to make sure that I am not led astray and am always following the right path, for myself (to make sure that I am happy)!

No comments:

Post a Comment