06 May 2010

Very sore back muscles

The last 2-3 days I have had such sore back muscles around the middle of the back on the right hand side. So sore that I cant turn to my right without wincing in pain. I don't have full movement to my right and my whole right side feels very painful and sore.

My back is so sore that it hurts to breathe and sneezing, forget it! As soon as my lungs get filled up that much, it puts pressure on my back muscles and hurt so bad that mid-sneeze, my body gives up on it. This also means I cant breathe in too deeply because that also puts pressure on my back muscles and starts to hurt too.

The image here shows the exact muscle which is sore - serratus posterior. As you can see in the photo here, it attaches to the ribs at the back, which is why, when I breathe, it hurts. When you breathe in, your ribs expand to accommodate the expanding lungs and anything attached to the ribs also gets affected, so it hurts to breathe in.

It only really hurts when I try to do certain things that cause me to put pressure on that muscle, such as breathing in deeply, sneezing and even reaching around to my right hand side to do anything. Needless to say, I have been trying not to do the aforementioned, in order to prevent the pangs of pain. If I am just sitting there, not trying to breathe too deeply, it does not hurt much.

This happened because I had used several pillows and a v-shaped pillow to lie on so that my head could be elevated higher than my chest area, to help me breathe more easily, mainly due to the bronchitis, but also because of the pharyngitis, sinusitis and post-nasal drip.

During the night, while sleeping propped up on all these pillows, I must have twisted that particular back muscle somehow to cause the pain.  It happened a few weeks ago, due to the same reason (propped up pillows) and only dissipated when I started to do some stretching exercises.

I have been doing some stretching exercises today and yesterday to try to stretch that particular muscle (and surrounding muscles), to try to reduce the pain and make it better. It should be okay within the next few days, I think, as long as I continue the stretching exercises.

No comments:

Post a Comment