05 May 2010

Downpour of rain today

I left the house today to get to an appointment in the city, but as I was catching public transport, I was late - public transport options are either quite often unreliable. It made me 15 minutes late.

After I finished up, I went to the mall for a bit of window shopping and a little while later, a huge thunderstorm started. I heard this regular noise, like scratching when I was walking around - I was on the top floor and the ceiling has a glass roof.

It seemed that one minute the sky was just cloudy and there was still light with the sun not completely overcast and then the next minute, there was a huge deluge of rain that came pouring down, rapping loudly on the roof of the shopping mall. The downpour was so severe that it seemed to drop a whole lot of rain very quickly in a very short time. There was also some amazing lighting and thunder that was part of this thunderstorm - the lightning looked like it was sheet lighting and occurred quite far in the distance.

When I went to catch a bus later, it was still raining heavily, with big splats of rain falling down from the sky. I was exceedingly thankful that my good sense made me go back to the house to get my jacket and umbrella before I left, because not only was it raining heavily but it was also cold too.

Despite having an umbrella, my jeans were soaked from the calf down, partly from the rain and partly because it was a bit flooded on the roads and footpaths, from that sudden and huge deluge and both of those factors caused my pants to get soaked.  When I was on the bus, I could see that there were certain roads that were quite flooded, especially near the kerb area and it was quite interesting to see all the water be divided and fly off to the side when a car was driving through the flooded roads.

Now, four hours later, the storm has started up again. All of a sudden, this violent rain has come pouring down. You can hear the rain beating hard against the roof and the windows - it's raining quite steadily now and will probably continue to do so right throughout the night. Thank goodness I am inside now with the heater, warm and comfortable. They are predicting rain for tomorrow too, so looks like I wont be going anywhere tomorrow but staying in.

The gorgeous kitty is sleeping on my bed again - I think he really loves being here as it's soft, warm and comfortable. He was waiting on the mat at the back door when I went outside to look for him. He started purring as soon as I picked him up and took him to my room. He's such a beautiful cat!

No comments:

Post a Comment