07 July 2010

Second part of root canal done

Today I had to be at the dentist for two hours, while he completed the second part of the root canal on my upper molar. I saw the other dentist in the practice, as he is more experienced in root canal procedures.

The dentist wanted to give me the anaesthetic needle without giving me a topical anaesthetic first, but I wasn't prepared for that and I asked for it and he obliged. He put the needle with the anaesthetic very slowly and steadily and I felt nothing while he was inserting it into my gum. Sometimes I have felt pain when the needle goes in, but this time was pretty good.

He had to remove the temporary filling and other material that the first dentist used and then file away the three chambers where the root of the tooth was formerly housed (which got infected and inflamed previously and had to be removed in the first appointment.

He used some interesting drills, which were whirring away slowly, aimed I guess, at removing any pulp and other diseased material in the chambers.

The root chambers of the tooth were cleaned out - when he first took out the temporary filling, it smelt of decay and wasn't pleasant, but it was not nearly as bad as when I had the first part of the root canal. Cleaning out the root chambers ensured that all decayed (and useless) material was removed and this means it should be good.

Once the root chambers were all cleaned out, dry and ready, he added a filling to the tooth.

I have to get a porcelain crown on the tooth, to strengthen it, but not yet - in a few months.

He also told me that the tooth would be a little sore for the next 4-5 days, due to the work that was done on it today, but it would settle down. I started to feel a slight bit of discomfort, very slightly just at the end of the treatment, when he was affixing the filling and the drill bit touched the side of my tooth for a fraction of a second, but it wasn't painful by any means, it just felt like brief uncomfortable pressure.

I am so glad to have finally found a dental practice which takes my pain sensations seriously and anaesthetises my nerves so that I don't feel pain.  And, their assistants are really lovely and unjudgemental. It's nice to finally find a dentist practice like that!

I didn't even get really scared or freaked out about the dental appointment today, whereas normally, for a few days prior to a dental appointment, I start stressing quite a lot. So that, says a lot about these two dentists - they really are patient and caring and listen to their patients!

I have finally found a dentist I can trust and who I can go to on a regular basis for maintaining the health of my teeth.

2 comments:

  1. I stumbled on this article and had to comment - I had a root canal a few weeks ago on an upper molar as well! My dentists mentioned the uppers were tougher to fill compared to the bottoms. I am a bit surprised to read that you need to wait a couple of months for your crown ... my dentist fitted me for the crown on the say day ... I need to wait a few weeks for the crown to come in but have a temp in place now. Nonetheless, thanks for the good read! I help to run a dental site for the poor ... the site provides a list of free dental clinics for those is need. Take care and God Bless!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for your comment.

    Just to answer your question: I havent been fitted for the crown yet. The dentist suggested a few months to give the tooth enough time to settle down (as there was an abscess in the root area) and it was a 2-hour appointment to actually clean it out and fill it. It was a long process. I could get a crown straight away, but he recommended to wait.

    Anyway, good on you providing a site to help people find cheap/free dental clinics - lots of people need it in today's economy!

    Take care :)

    ReplyDelete