05 July 2010

My step-father cannot control his temper at all

My step-father has high blood pressure.

He has been told to control his temper tantrums because when he gets angry, in a boiling rage, which occurs several times a week, his blood pressure rises quite high and as it is already high, it is a dangerous situation for him.

But, he has no impulse control. He cannot control himself and his actions or words. He becomes completely irrational and will not listen to any rational discussion - in fact, it inflames him even more and he just gets angrier.  I think it's because he feels his intelligence is being insulted because he knows I am more educated than him and he resents me for that. He often tells me I only know what's inside "books", that I think I know so much, but that I am "stupid".

My step-father has always been like this. He used to get really drunk when I was a kid and would get really violent, shout tirades at me, become very belligerent and just hit me wherever his hand struck me on my body. I would have to cover the bruises when I went to school.

Personally, I think he resents me because he had a hard life and had to work hard, is uneducated and rather ignorant about a lot of things, so he resents the fact that I am tertiary educated, have had more opportunities than he ever had and that I seemingly (to him) have had an easy life. He doesn't like that.

My step-father is also very misogynistic as he thinks any housework is "women's work" and thinks that I should be the house slave who performs all housework duties. He resents the fact that I cannot vacuum, because of my allergies. He really resents that. He would like it to be the same as when I was younger, when I did most of the housework and he was left to relax and drink himself into a stupor.

1 comment:

  1. Sounds rather like a typical bitter and twisted person with an inferiority complex.

    ReplyDelete