24 June 2010

The apartments I saw today were horrible

The first place I inspected, was so smelly (of some cheap, nasty cleaning products), it was completely over-run by boxes, furniture and the person who was living there didn't answer the door, she was pretending she wasn't home, but when her baby started crying, everyone heard it cry and she came out briefly. She opened the bedroom door while holding the crying baby swathed in a blanket in her arms, nodded her head at me and closed the door again.

The kitchen was so over-run with everything these people owned and was so messy too. The apartment was tiny, so no wonder it was so cheap. It was old, the fittings were old and there was nothing there that had any merit for me. I had to hold the cuff of my jacket (lucky it was fluffy) over my mouth, because between the strong smell of the apartment and the real estate agent's perfume, I was getting knocked out by the overpowering smell. Needless to say, I didn't stay there longer than maybe 20-30 seconds, at the most. Anther guy who came in at the same time as me, was equally unimpressed.

The next place, I had misgivings even before I went there and I was early. I debated on whether I should just forget about it as it looked really dodgy, old and ugly from the outside and there were really horrible flats just next to these ones.  I decided to stay, but I shouldn't have.

When the time came to view it, there was a girl waiting too, a student who asked me if I was waiting for the same apartment. She told me that somewhere near the vicinity of the apartment there was a horrible smell.

The real estate agent lead us up these dingy, concrete stairs to the first floor and the student and I just looked at each, like we knew it was going to be ugly and old inside.We were right. It was small, dingy, carpet was so old, as were the built-in cupboards. It was also smelly, with some strong, cheap perfumed cleaning chemical smell. The only nice thing about it was the kitchen, which was new-ish.

Again, I didn't stay longer than about 20-30 seconds and when I left, so did the student girl too. We both commented how old and smelly it was, so I am not the only one who cant tolerate such strongly perfumed noxious smells. While it makes me ill, it bothers others also and they certainly don't want to be around it.

That's two out of two apartments that were crap. I have more to see on Saturday.

No comments:

Post a Comment